Top : Cool
Internet and Web Essentials: FYIs: What's Cool - The Top 3%!
23 Popular Links:
01 Introduction to the Internet and the World Wide Web : History of the Internet
02 How the Internet Works and Getting Connected : nslookup
04 Electronic Mail : Comparing Email Clients
04 Electronic Mail : Finding Email Addresses
- Finding email addresses
- "Finding Email Addresses
Trying to track down the contact information for friends or family? These tips and sites can help!
There are many ways to track down people on the Web. For instance, many of the largest directories are international in scope and cover hundreds of thousands or even millions of people.
At the same time, if you know something about the person you are looking for, such as their interests, professional affiliations or education history, you may be able to track them down through one of the many smaller, specialist directories. These directories generally focus on a single subject, such as alumni of a specific school, for example."
(Added: 12-Nov-2000 Hits: 484 )
05 Email Discussion Groups : Finding A Group
05 Email Discussion Groups : Information About Discussion Groups on the Web
06 Usenet News
06 Usenet News : Some Classic Papers About Usenet
- What Is Usenet?
- 'Usenet is a world-wide distributed discussion system. It consists of a
set of "newsgroups" with names that are classified hierarchically by
subject. "Articles" or "messages" are "posted" to these newsgroups by
people on computers with the appropriate software -- these articles are
then broadcast to other interconnected computer systems via a wide
variety of networks. Some newsgroups are "moderated"; in these
newsgroups, the articles are first sent to a moderator for approval
before appearing in the newsgroup. Usenet is available on a wide variety
of computer systems and networks, but the bulk of modern Usenet traffic
is transported over either the Internet or UUCP.'
(Added: 20-Oct-2000 Hits: 306 )
- A Primer on How to Work with the Usenet Community
- "This document is not intended to teach you how to use Usenet. Instead, it is a guide to using it politely, effectively and efficiently. Communication by computer is new to almost everybody, and there are certain aspects that can make it a frustrating experience until you get used to them. This document should help you avoid the worst traps."
(Added: 13-Nov-2000 Hits: 288 )
- How to Make the Best Use of Usenet News
- "Please, help to keep the Usenet useful!
* Read before posting,
* Read the fine manuals (RTFM),
* Get local help,
* Do not repeat frequently asked questions (FAQ), * When in doubt, use e-mail instead of posting (publishing) to a newsgroup,
* Follow the "Netiquette" rules and conventions, and always remember that you are communicating with millions of people all over the world!"
(Added: 13-Nov-2000 Hits: 270 )
09 Successful Search Strategies
- Basic Search Strategy: the Ten Steps
- "The following list provides a guideline for you to follow in formulating search requests, viewing search results, and modifying search results. These procedures can be followed for virtually any
search request, from the simplest to the most complicated. For some search requests, you may not want or need to go through a formal search strategy. If you want to save time in the long run, however, it's a good idea to follow a strategy, especially when you're new to a particular search engine. "
(Added: 15-Nov-2000 Hits: 718 )
10 Specialized Databases : Email and Telephone Directories
12 Managing and Using Information from the Internet : File Formats
13 Transferring Files Using FTP : MP3s : Making Your Own MP3s
Pages Updated On: 24-Nov-2003 - 05:57:51
Return to Internet and Web Essentials